Healthy Dorm-Approved Snacks for All the Foodies Out There!
Sep 12, 2018
By : Renee Antaran
We all love food. The truth that most people would overlook or deny is how the food you eat impacts your mood and energy. It’s easy to get caught up with school work. We tend to opt to save time and settle for instant noodles and microwave dinners. Although dorms may seem restrictive, there are actually a lot of dorm-approved healthy snacks that should totally be part of your next grocery shopping list!
- Granola is one of the most underrated snacks that give you your dose of iron and fiber. It is much healthier than cereals as it is not loaded with sugar. Just make sure to read the labels and choose brands that contain the least amount of sugar. You can eat granola with yoghurt, smoothies, oatmeal, or just simply eat it alone!
- It has been proven that nuts are a good source of unsaturated fats. Not only do they give health benefits, but they are also considered a great brain food. There have been studies by Harvard University that showed that certain nuts, specifically walnuts, can improve cognitive performance!
Low Sodium Biscuits
- Low sodium crackers and pretzels are great substitutes for chips! You can enjoy the crackers with cream cheese, mozzarella, and many more!
- If you are a fruit lover with no fridge in your dorm, don’t fret! There are so many fruits that can be stored at room temperature. From apples to oranges, bananas, and avocados, these fruits can simply be stored at room temperature.
- Tortilla wraps are great with almost everything! You can eat it with some deli meat and cheese, salad, and even peanut butter and bananas!
- There are now several healthy popcorns in the market. Plain popcorn with a little bit of salt is a great snack to munch on while studying or watching movies!
- Peanut butter is one of the most versatile snacks. It can be eaten with almost anything- from pretzels, bread, to even fruits! Not only is it tasty, but also healthy! There’s no better way to get your dose of healthy oils and fats than from peanut butter!
- Chocolate is a staple when talking about desserts and stress-relievers. After all, stressed spelled backwards is desserts! Studies show that dark chocolate is a great source of antioxidants and it is said to improve cognitive function.
- Oatmeal may sound like such a bland meal; however, you can mix it with some dark chocolate, fruits, and granola to amp up its flavor profile!
Whole grain bread
- Whole grain bread is a staple as you can have it for breakfast, lunch, and even dinner! From the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich and french toasts, to club sandwiches, you should definitely be eating bread a lot!
If you are looking for more ways to eat fruits, yoghurt is the way to go! Drizzle some honey in your greek yoghurt, mix some fruits, and there you have it, a healthy and delicious snack done in less than 3 minutes!
Hummus is a tasty dip made of chickpeas that you can eat with bread, tortilla wraps, and vegetables!
Hard Boiled Eggs
You can purchase ready-made boiled eggs from your grocery nearby or prepare one yourself.Simply store these in the fridge and bring it out when it’s merienda time!
Baby carrots are one of many vegetables you can readily eat. You can even save some cooking time by buying ready to eat carrots!
Although college life can be busy with tons of requirements, your health must always be your priority! Go to your nearest grocery store and buy some healthy food for your pantry! Check out this article for more quick, healthy, and easy recipes for college students! Or visit Edukasyon.ph’s College Life section for more tips on navigating student life.
Take care of your mental health
The Thought Process of Filipino Students Debating Whether to Pursue Their Studies Abroad
10 Most Searched College Courses in the Pandemic
5 Happy Items For Your Daily Grind
Reasons why we should pay attention to the importance of Mental Health, Now more than ever
Live S.T.R.O.N.G: A Student’s Guide To Life
5 Things That Video Games Can Teach Us About Goal-Setting
AGREE TO DISAGREE: How to Play Nice on Social Media
Build Your Dream Home, Find Your Dream Program
Confident Me: The Toolkit
How Advertising Can Affect Our Confidence
New Year? 3 Tips for A New Life Without Burnout
Asking For A Friend: Bakit ka dinidisiplina?
Explore new paths
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Let us help you achieve your dream job by matching you with the right schools.