Mariano Marcos State University - Laoag Campus 1 (MMSU - Laoag Campus 1)
is a public university originally established in 1917 as the Laoag Normal School. In its first operation as an academic institution, the campus offered a four (4) year secondary normal school curriculum. But with the oversupply of teachers, the school temporarily closed its operation and resumed in 1938 as the Ilocos Norte Normal School.
Eventually, the school was converted into the Northern Luzon Teachers College by the virtue of Republic Act No. 3705 which led to the opening of their undergraduate offering in
Elementary Education. And through the PD No. 944 enacted by the late president Ferdinand Marcos, the NLTC was to Northern Luzon State College and finally became part of the Mariano Marcos State University
as the campus that houses the College of Teacher Education