The Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science degree program integrates the fields of life science and medicine with practical laboratory experience in clinical and public health settings.
Medical Laboratory Science students develop organizational skills, quantitative reasoning ability and diverse laboratory science competencies for professional practice through focused coursework and hands-on experience in diagnostic laboratory medicine and public health. Upon completion of 3 ½ years of academic requirements, students will then proceed to their 6-month clinical internship and they have rotational duties in different sections such as Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunohematology (Blood Banking), Immunology and Serology, Urinalysis and other Body Fluids (Clinical Microscopy), Parasitology, Histopathologic/Cytologic techniques and other emergent technologies at the different hospital affiliations of the College.
The Medical Technology Education aims to:
- Develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills in the performance of clinical laboratory procedures needed to help the physician in the proper diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and prevention of diseases;
- Develop skills in critical and analytical thinking to advance knowledge in Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science and contribute to the challenges of the profession;
- Develop leadership skills and to promote competence and excellence and;
- Uphold moral and ethical values in the service of society and in the practice of the profession.
The graduates of this program may go into the following professions and career paths:
- Clinical Laboratory Practice: Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists in Hospital Laboratories, Clinics and Sanitarium.
- Education: Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists can be employed as faculty in colleges and universities offering Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science program to teach professional subjects.
- Diagnostic Industry/Drug Companies
- Specialized Fields:
a. Medico-Legal Laboratory Drug Testing Laboratory
b. HIV/AIDS Testing Laboratory
c. Information Systems
d. Quality Management System
- Other Fields Employing the Knowledge and Skills of Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists
Visit OLFU's Official Website : www.fatima.edu.ph
to know more about the College of Medical Laboratory Science