Università Cattolica’s Cremona campus boasts one of the world’s most renowned teams of Agriculture academics, scientists and researchers; a team at the forefront of food innovation and technology, whose expertise extends to developing tracking systems for any product transported across the European Union. If you would like to study for a
graduate qualification in the world’s fastest growing industry, then a beautiful city in the heart of the Italian food valley will open your doors to the world.
The program, organized in the context of the SMEA Graduate School, will prepare students to analyze the agri-food system and to operate in the various functional areas of businesses and organizations. The program will develop professional knowledge and skills with regards to:
- analyzing traditional problems relating to agricultural markets and food, evaluating the implications of agri-food and commercial policies;
- managing the liberalization processes and rules of free competition also within an international context;
- analyzing the behavior of final consumers with respect to agricultural and food products;
- understanding the different sectors of the agri-food system, the vertical relations and the coordination of the various phases of the system (e.g. agriculture, food processing and food retailing);
- managing emerging issues in agricultural and food production, including the safety of foodstuffs and the environmental impact of agricultural activities, the role of quality, information and traceability, the management of technical innovations, in particular biotechnology, and of the industrialization of agriculture;
- dealing with corporate and logistical problems that affect business functions according to the peculiarities of agribusiness companies.
SMEA students can benefit of several internationalisation opportunities. The most important ones are the Double Degree with Wageningen University
(the Netherlands) and the jointly organized European Master's programme in "Agricultural, Food and Environmental Policy Analysis (AFEPA)“
The Double Degree gives SMEA students the chance to attend the second year at Wageningen University and obtain both degrees, thanks to a jointly supervised thesis. The AFEPA Programme is offered by a consortium of 4 European partner universities (the University of Bonn, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Uppsala, the Université Catholique de Louvain (Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium) and the Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milano, Italy) and three associated partners (Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya in Barcelona, Spain, the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada and the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile in Santiago). Participating students spend one year each at two of the European partner universities with the possibility of a short exchange visit to an associated partner university, obtaining a double degree by the two Universities the students attend.
SMEA - Alta Scuola di Management ed Economia Agroalimentare
(Graduate School in Agricultural and Food Economics)
SMEA is one of the leading Italian schools in the field with a European-wide reputation. It has a long experience in research concerning agricultural economics and policy, the industrial organisation of the food sector and the analysis of the functioning of the food supply chain. This experience relates both to academic research and to support for policy-makers, since the researchers of the team have developed a long experience of collaboration with international organisations (i.e., European Commission, OECD, FAO and World Bank), government agencies and producer associations.
The UCSC/SMEA team has recently participated in several International Research projects, such as:
- EDIM – European Dairy Industry Model
- WEMAC – World Econometric Modelling of Arable Crops
- FACTOR MARKETS - Comparative Analysis of Factor Markets for Agriculture across the Member States
- FADNTOOL - Development of modelling tools based on FADN data adapted to assess the dynamic impacts of the CAP
- TRANSFOP - Transparency of food pricing
- PRICE – Practical Implementation of Coexistence in Europe
- SUSDIET - Implementing sustainable diets in Europe