Standardized Testing Considerations for International Applicants
- We accept the Duolingo English Test, the IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System), the PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English), and the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): we will consider scores from any of these tests along with all other application materials.
- We also recognize that test scores from bilingual students, or students outside of a United States high school system, may reflect a student's lack of familiarity and experience with this type of standardized test.
- We do not require any English proficiency tests, though we recommend them for non-native English speakers who feel their English proficiency test scores might represent their English ability better than their SAT or ACT scores do.
Curriculum Considerations for International Applicants
Interviews for International Students
- Visa Information To obtain an F-1 visa for study in the United States, a foreign citizen must furnish his or her home country's U.S. consulate with proof of ability to meet educational expenses, along with a certificate of eligibility for a visa application (the I-20 form).
- I-20 forms for incoming foreign students are issued only after a student has accepted an offer of admission at Duke and returned a completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility.
- Prior to the anticipated date of enrollment at Duke, students should have completed an academic program that would enable them to enroll at a university in their home countries.
- For example, students from British or British-based education systems should have completed their A-levels before enrollment, and students from the French or German education systems should complete the Baccalaureate or Abitur.
While not required for admission, interviews
provide an opportunity for the applicant to learn about Duke and for a representative of the university to learn about the applicant's strengths. We have alumni volunteers conducting interviews in forty-two countries worldwide.