There is a limited number of NUS GSA available each academic year and, therefore, it is awarded on a very competitive basis. Only exceptional candidates will be considered. In addition to the eligibility requirement of nationality, a candidate must have:
- an excellent academic record:
- A candidate should be in the top 10% of his/her graduating class.
- a good command of the English language:
- As evidenced with either/both of the following:
- a Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] score of at least 580 for the paper-based test or 237 for the computer-based test or 85 for the internet-based score; or
- an International English Language Testing System [IELTS] result of at least 6.0.
- If the NUS Faculty/School specifies a higher TOEFL score (e.g. 600 for the paper-based test or 250 for the computer-based test) or IELTS result (e.g. 7.0) as a minimum requirement for a designated graduate degree, the higher score or result will apply.
are internationally established standards to compare the English language proficiency of candidates from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. Even if English is the native language or medium of instruction for the candidate, this does not ensure that the candidate:
- is an outstanding candidate for the NUS GSA.
- will cope and benefit from the designated graduate degree (usually conducted in the English language); or
- has a very good command of the English language;
Please note that:
- other English language 'proficiency tests' will not be accepted, as they may be inconsistent and not of international standard or comparable to TOEFL or IELTS;
- tests that claim to be predictions, estimations, simulations, equivalents, practices, etc. of the TOEFL or IELTS will not be accepted;
- the ETS Institutional Testing Program cannot be used for admission; and
- TOEFL scores or IELTS results are only valid for 2 years after the test and should be valid at the beginning of the application period for the designated graduate degree.
Minimum of 2 years of relevant working experience as at the application due date:
- The years of working experience may be cumulative over different periods of time; and
- The scope of working experience should be within the discipline of the designated graduate degree.
A candidate will not be considered for the NUS GSA if:
- he/she does not fulfil the nationality and the 3 eligibility requirements above; or
- his/her application is incomplete or received after the deadline.