Step 1: Start and Complete the Common Application Online
The Common Application is required for students applying to any or all of NYU's three degree-granting campuses in New York, Abu Dhabi, or Shanghai. You'll be able to choose your campus(es) and program(s) of interest on the NYU-specific page of the Common Application.
Step 2: Gather and Submit Necessary Documents
- Contact information for the counselor or other school representatives who will complete your Common Application School Report and submit your official high school transcript.
- Contact information for one teacher (or two, maximum) who will complete the Teacher Evaluation form.
- Nonrefundable $80.00 application fee. Students who are unable to pay the application fee can request a fee waiver.
Depending on your educational background and the program you are applying to, you will need to provide the following:
- Official score reports
- An audition or portfolio for specific artistic program applicants to the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development and Tisch School of the Arts. For applicants to these programs, testing is optional and a required audition or portfolio can be submitted in place of standardized testing:
- Steinhardt requires an audition or portfolio for all applicants to the Music Department with the exception of Educational Theatre, and a portfolio for those applying to Studio Art.
- Tisch requires an audition or portfolio for applicants to all programs with the exception of Interactive Media Arts.
- For programs that require an audition or portfolio we strongly recommend you submit your application one month in advance to ensure ample time to prepare your audition or portfolio.
- English language testing if you have not completed at least 3 years of study where English is the sole language of instruction and English is not your native language.
- Official transcripts of all college work that you have received academic credit for.
- The Common Application Mid Year Report with updated transcript. This should show your first semester senior year grades. Have your counselor submit the report by March 1 through the Common Application.
Submit original or certified copies only. A certified copy has an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official, or the institution's seal. Include an official English translation if the document isn't in English. A school official or a translation agency accredited in the country of the educational institution can issue the translation.