United States

United States

United States

Quick Facts & Figures

  • capital

    Washington, D.C.
  • language

  • currency

    United States Dollar (USD)
  • government

    Federal presidential constitutional republic
  • religion

    Top 3: Christian, Judaism, Islam
  • weather

    Humid continental & subtropical, Subarctic, Tropical
  • timezone

    UTC: -4 to -12, +10, +11 / (DST) UTC: -4 to -10)
  • internet domain


Study in the United States

Everything from big city skylines, charming small towns, to natural wonders, the United States has it all. The sheer size of the country and the differences in cultures in its 50 states make it difficult to accurately describe what it is like in USA. However, one thing is clear: what the US offers is choice, and choice comes aplenty.

With partner schools in San Francisco, Los AngelesBoston, and San Antonio to name a few, Filipino international students have a lot to choose in pursuing their international studies in the US.

We have over 4 schools and universities in the United States on our website that you can search and apply from!


Why study in the United States?

America is a great destination for Filipino international students thanks to its prestigious universities and cultural diversity. There are a handful of reasons why Filipinos should study in the US.

  • US Universities Are Among the World's Best
  • Strong Filipino Community
  • Diverse Options for International Students

Schools in the United States

Deciding to study in the United States can get overwhelming because of the abundance of schools and universities students can choose from. Whatever your choice may be, it's bound to be a good one since the United States ranks first in the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2018.

Life and Culture in the United States

Living in America is difficult to pinpoint thanks to the nation’s diverse culture brought about by different people all over the world into the country. As an international student, you may be challenged by the foreign environment. If you decide to study and live in an area with a high concentration of Filipinos, you may find a piece of home in the US.

Study and work opportunities in the United States

When school is in session, international students are allowed to do on campus part-time work of up to 20 hours per week only and up to 40 hours per week during school break periods. Should you want to gain off-campus employment with your student visa, you will need to have already completed at least one full academic year of your program or study and also qualify that you have economic hardship for the Department of Homeland Security’s emergent circumstances.

For any questions about part time work, you must talk with your designated school official (DSO) who will present you with jobs that are available for you and that could be a good fit.

Student and work visa requirements in the United States

Learn all the requirements, processing time, fees, and everything Filipinos need to know to apply for a study and work visa in America. Discover how you can apply for a student and work visa in the United States.

How to Get F-1 or M-1 Student Visa in the USA
A Handy Guide to Working in the USA After Graduation

Scholarships in the United States

It can get pricey to study in America with all things considered. The cost of living in the US is 102.84% lower than in the Philippines. Rent in America is 397.94% lower than the Philippines.

One of the ways to ease the burden financially is to apply for student scholarships. You can ask the school you’re applying to if they can provide scholarships specifically for international students.


Partner Schools

Studying in United States

What are the requirements for studying at a school in the US?

Generally, schools in the US will ask for your:

  • education credentials,
  • standardized test scores (ACT or SAT),
  • recommendation letters,
  • an essay.

The specific requirements will vary depending on your school, course, and level of study. Visit the Edukasyon profile of the school you like to find their specific requirements. For a list of schools in the US looking for Filipino students, see here.

Why should I study in the USA?

Nearly 1 million international students chose to study in the United States last year because of the quality, choice, flexibility, and value of a U.S. higher education experience.  

More than 4,500 accredited institutions make up U.S. higher education in the United States. Unlike many countries, U.S. higher education institutions are not centrally organized or managed, but are accredited on a national or regional level by independent accrediting bodies.

With the variety of available U.S. higher education options, students are sure to find the right fit for their academic, financial, and personal needs

How do I choose a school in the USA?

Schools in the US offer many undergraduate and graduate programs in every academic field. After deciding (1) What your career goals are and (2) What academic programs can help you achieve those goals, it's time to do some research on which school is best for you! There are schools in the US that are looking for Filipino students just like you! Explore them here.

What are the required languages for studying in the US?

English is the native language in the US. Many schools in the US will ask you to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®) to measure your English language proficiency.

If you’re worried about your English language proficiency, check out our partner language centers that can help you improve your skills!

Are there scholarships available? How can I finance my studies?
There are also some international student loans available from different loan giving bodies. University representatives usually work in tandem with their financial aid department that focuses on helping students find options to finance their education. But if you're more interested in scholarships, there are many scholarships offered by the US government and even the schools themselves. Visit the Edukasyon profiles of the schools you are interested in to check if they are offering any scholarships.
Do I need a visa? How do I get it?

If you’re a Philippine passport-holder, you’re going to need a student visa to attend school in the US. The process involves:

  1. Scheduling your interview with the embassy
  2. Completing the online application form
  3. Gathering all the required documents
  4. Attending your interview

Note that you can’t start processing your student visa until you get accepted by a school in the US. For the full list of details, please visit the US embassy website or contact the US embassy in Manila.


Living in United States

How much is the cost of living in the US?

As a general guide, especially for a country as large as the US, your cost of living will vary depending on the city and state you choose to live in. Bigger cities like Los Angeles and New York will naturally be more expensive than smaller cities.

University representatives are great resources to understand the cost of living in their school's city! Explore our partner schools here, and inquire to get connected with your university representative.

Are there Filipinos living in the US?

If you choose to study in the US, you certainly won’t be alone! According to the 2014 edition of Open Doors, there were 2,886 enrolled international students in the US from the Philippines for the academic year 2015-2016.


Working in United States

What are the benefits of graduating from a school in the US?

Graduating from a school in the US can greatly benefit your future career! Depending on your school and their industry connections, your university could connect you to some of your dream American companies and maybe even internships. Schools in the US are also generally high in quality and are recognized all over the world. You can also improve your English language skills and expand your network by meeting fellow students from all walks of life. These, among other factors, can improve your employability once you graduate!


Can I work while I’m studying in the US?

Depending on your type of student visa, you can be allowed to work part-time. Generally, international students are allowed to work on-campus – be sure to ask your designated school representative for work options available. Working off-campus may be restricted, depending on your visa.